Electrical Fire Safety

In Case of Fire

If you experience a fire, do not use water. Call 911 immediately. Never attempt to use water to extinguish a grease fire. While awaiting the fire department’s arrival, an all-purpose fire extinguisher can be used, but only if you have one ready and know how to use it. 

Electrical Fires

Electrical fires in homes claim 485 American lives each year and cost almost $900 million in property loss.  While some electrical fires are caused by system failures and appliance defects, most are caused by the misuse of electrical appliances, incorrectly installed wiring, and overloaded circuits and extension cords.

* December is the most dangerous month for electrical fires. 

* Routinely check electrical appliances and tools for worn or frayed wiring.  If you notice smoke, sparks or overheating, discontinue their use and replace them immediately.

* Use electrical extension cords only for temporary purposes and never overload them.

* Never set or use electrical appliances on wet surfaces.

* Keep clothes, curtains and other potentially combustible items at least 3 feet from all heaters and never allow children to play close-by.

* Never run electrical cords under rugs or in high traffic areas and never allow doors or windows to be closed on or bend electrical cords.

* Never force an appliance with a three-prong plug into a two-slot outlet or extension cord.

* Immediately shut off, then professionally replace, light switches that are hot to the touch and lights that flicker.

* Use outlet plug covers on electrical outlets to protect children from electrical shock.

Target Arson and Crime Stoppers Offer $1,000 Reward for Information Leading to Arrest and Indictment

Contact: Target Arson: 1-800-27ARSON, Bowling Green Fire Department, (270) 393-3702 or Crime Stoppers, (270) 781-CLUE